I LOVE the sweet little bursts from the sultanas in this Middle Eastern-esque salad. You can make it as a main or on the side with a roast. These amounts will feed two hungry people!
1/2 a cup of bulgar wheat (cous-cous works too)
1 x stock cube or capsule
1 small carrot
8 cherry tomatoes
2 large handfuls of sultanas
1 head of cauliflower, chopped into small florets
Salt, pepper , white or cider vinegar and oil for cooking + dressing (i.e. rapeseed and olive)
- Place your sultanas in a bowl and add 2 tbsp of vinegar. Add water until covered and leave to soak.
- Heat your oven to 180c. In a large bowl, mix the cauliflower florets with two nice big glugs of rapeseed oil and some salt and pepper. Place on a lined baking try and roast for about 15-20 minutes until nice and brown. Keep the bowl for mixing.
- Cover your bulgur with cold water in a saucepan and add the stock cube. Bring slowly to the boil then cook until done - I like mine a tiny bit crunchy.
- Grate the carrot and chop the tomatoes and add to your bowl.
- Once the wheat and cauliflower are cooked, leave them to cool for 5 minutes before adding to the bowl.
- Toast your hazelnuts in a saucepan over a low heat and mix everything together, adding seasoning if you need to.
- Serve with fresh greens, I used spinach, and with a drizzle of olive oil,